Otsego Rural Housing Assistance, Inc. (ORHA) is seeking a new Executive Director in 2023. As a private not-for-profit corporation, ORHA has operated successfully since 1984 in providing grant-funded housing assistance programs to low income families throughout Otsego County. We are looking for an individual with a long-term interest in continuing and growing this work.
Target start date: February 1, 2023, but negotiable.
Salary range: mid $50K
Full Job Description
ORHA’s work consists of two main areas: 1) administration of the HUD Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program in Otsego County, under long term contract with the State of New York. This program provides rental assistance totaling well over $700,000 annually to approximately 160 households in the County; 2) implementation of grant-funded home repair, rehabilitation, and accessibility services to low & moderate income households, typically totaling over $400,000 per year.
Overseeing a staff of three full time professionals, the Executive Director serves as the chief executive officer of the company, directing all grant application, administration, budgeting, compliance, and implementation activities, and overseeing a staff of three full-time professionals. In practice, the Executive Director is often the lead grant writer and lead administrator of several programs.
The Executive Director develops longer term policy and planning for the organization in consultation with the Board of Directors. The ORHA Executive Director and staff communicate regularly with New York State agency staff, primarily those of New York Homes & Community Renewal (HCR) and with Otsego County government and social service agencies. The Executive Director will be the primary public face of the organization, interacting with local and statewide agencies, and on occasion with the media.
ORHA’s main office is located at 709 CO HWY 33 Cooperstown, with a satellite office for Section 8 administration at the County Meadows Complex nearby. The working environment is collegial and flexible, with a business casual dress standard.
Letters of interest must address the following in a brief and direct manner:
- Experience with government, non-profit, and/or social service organizations
- Interest in public policy regarding housing and anti-poverty initiatives
- Supervisory and administrative experience in a professional environment
- Knowledge of the building trades, property management, mortgage financing, real estate development, and/or community planning
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including capacity for research and comprehension of legal and regulatory materials; comfort with public speaking
- Experience with grant-writing and grants administration
- Understanding of financial planning and management
- Proficiency with standard office computing tools such as Office, Excel, Word, Adobe, PowerPoint, and email, and with social media platforms such as Facebook
- Familiarity with and commitment to rural interests and conditions.
- 401(k) (and employer match)
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Gregory Crowell, Board President by:
Otsego Rural Housing Assistance, Inc
PO Box 189
Milford, NY 13807
No phone calls, please.